What is Standard Household Insurance?

It may seem a stupid question, but what exactly is standard household insurance? After all people’s homes vary greatly, so just what is standard household insurance?

Standard household insurance tends to refer to the fact that the building fits within the definition of standard construction, that is, your home is made of brick, stone or concrete and the roof is tiled, slate, asphalt, metal or concrete (with the roof having a maximum of 25% being flat).

Standard household insurance also relies on the fact that it is someone’s main residence and will be occupied at some point during the day. Most standard household policies will stipulate a limit of consecutive days a property can be left unoccupied for, for example 30 or 60 days. So, if you know the property is going be unoccupied for longer than this or is a holiday home you might want to find a policy more suitable for these, such as our InsuraHome Unoccupied, UK Holiday Home or European Holiday Home Insurance products.

Similarly, if the property you are looking to insure is a buy-to-let then you may find that our Insurahome Landlord’s policy is more suitable for your needs.

Policy Benefits under the InsuraHome Buildings Insurance and Contents Insurance for First Time Buyers include:

  • Loss or Damage caused by Fire, Smoke, Explosion, Lightning or Earthquake
  • Loss or Damage caused by Storm, Hail or Weight of Snow
  • Loss or Damage caused by Flood
  • Loss or Damage caused by the escape of water
  • A choice of policy excess – £100, £250, £500 or £1,000
  • First time buyer discount
  • Facility to transfer any no claims history from a previous insurer
  • Covers the cost of alternative accommodation if your property is left uninhabitable due to an insured event
  • Cover in case of Subsidence, Heave or Landslip is available
  • Accidental Damage cover is available

Or speak to an InsuraHome Household Insurance specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 900

What is Covered?

  • Buildings and/or Contents
  • Property Owners’ Liability
  • and much more!

How to get a Quote

To get a Quote, simply do one of the following:

  • Click any of the ‘Request a Quote’ Buttons and complete the online form.
  • Call our Specialists on 01483 806 815.
  • Download our Application Form located on the ‘Policy Documents’ page, print it out and fill in your details using BLOCK CAPITALS. This form can then either be posted to us, or scanned and emailed to info@insurahome.co.uk.
  • Download our Application Form and save it to your desktop. Re-open it, fill it in digitally and click ‘Send me to the InsuraHome Specialists’ on the final page, once you have completed all questions.
  • If you would like to request a call, send an email to info@insurahome.co.uk with your name and contact number.

Please Note: Our Open Times are: 09:00-17:30, Monday-Friday. Excluding English Bank Holidays.

Feefo logo

Do I need Buildings or Contents Insurance or both?

Home insurance is commonly split into distinct types. Buildings Insurance covers damage to the structure and fittings of the building. Contents insurance protects the items inside the home. Contents includes everything you would pack up if you were moving, so TVs, cutlery and crockery, furniture are all examples of contents. Fitted kitchens, sinks etc are examples of what would be protected under buildings.

A buildings and contents policy would cover both under one policy.

Be aware that there some common quirks with home insurance, for example, damage cause by tv aerials or satellite dishes would be covered under a buildings policy, but the actual aerial or satellite dish would be covered under the contents policy, because they are considered to be a part of the TV they are connected to.

Why would I need a contents only Insurance policy?

If you are living in a leasehold property or renting, then you are likely only to require contents insurance. This is because the freeholder should have a buildings policy in place, therefore you will likely be looking to try and cover your possessions only.

Or speak to an InsuraHome Household Insurance specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 900

Contact Us

If you wish to speak to one of our InsuraHome Home Insurance specialists:
Call: +44 (0) 1483 806 815
Email: info@insurahome.co.uk
(Open 9.00am-5.30pm, Monday-Friday, excluding English Public Holidays).

For Claims information, please click here

About Our Home Insurance Policy

Home Insurance is backed by a team of underwriters who are highly experienced and deal with each risk on a case-by-case basis. Therefore, our customers can be assured that all our InsuraHome Home Insurance policies provide protection, as required.

How do I get an InsuraHome Home Insurance Quote?

At InsuraHome we like to provide you with first class customer service to ensure you are getting the protection you require.

To get an InsuraHome Home Insurance quote click the ‘request a quote’ button and complete the online form. Alternatively download and complete an application form located on the ‘Policy Documents’ page and email it to info@insurahome.co.uk.

If you’d prefer to speak to someone, do not hesitate to call our Home Insurance specialists on 01483 806 815 and we will be happy to provide you with a quote over the phone.

Or speak to an InsuraHome Household Insurance specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 900

WE LOVE TO HEARWords From Our Customers