First Time Buyer Home Insurance

Buying your first home is an incredibly exciting time but there can also be a lot to learn. InsuraHome is here to help you find an insurance quote for new home buyers that meets your needs.

Do I need home insurance?

Surprisingly, first time buyer home insurance isn’t a legal requirement, however, it’s highly likely that having appropriate buildings Insurance is a requirement of your mortgage. Due to this, it’s important you get a first-time home buyers insurance policy to make sure you are not breaking the terms of your mortgage.

As a first-time home buyer you may feel like you need a bit of help buying your first home insurance policy and you might prefer to speak on the phone to InsuraHome about finding a policy that meets your needs, rather than buying a policy online.

As there are a lot of additional costs associated with buying your first home, we can even help you spread the cost of your new home insurance over 12 months via direct debit.

Or speak to an InsuraHome First Time Buyer Homeowners Insurance specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 900

Do I need Buildings or Contents Insurance or both?

As a new home buyer, you may not know that Household insurance is commonly split into 2 distinct types. Buildings Insurance protects against damage to the structure and fittings of the building. Fitted kitchens, sinks and other sanitaryware are examples of what would be protected under buildings insurance.

Contents insurance protects the items inside the home. Contents includes everything you would pack up if you were moving, so TVs, cutlery & crockery and furniture are all examples of what would be covered under a contents insurance policy.

A buildings and contents policy would cover both the elements under one policy.

Be aware that there are some common quirks with home insurance, for example, damage caused by tv aerials or satellite dishes falling would be covered under a buildings policy, but the actual aerial or satellite dish would be covered under the contents policy, because they are considered to be a part of the TV they are connected to, so be sure to read the policy wording and make sure you understand it!

Policy Benefits under the InsuraHome Buildings Insurance and Contents Insurance for First Time Homeowners includes:

  • Loss or Damage caused by Fire, Smoke, Explosion, Lightning or Earthquake
  • Loss or Damage caused by Storm, Hail or Weight of Snow
  • Loss or Damage caused by Flood
  • Loss or Damage caused by the escape of water
  • A choice of policy excess – £100, £250, £500 or £1,000
  • First time buyer discount
  • Facility to transfer any no claims history from a previous insurer
  • Covers the cost of alternative accommodation if your property is left uninhabitable due to an insured event
  • Cover in case of Subsidence, Heave or Landslip is available
  • Accidental Damage cover is available

Or speak to an InsuraHome First Time Buyer Homeowners Insurance specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 900

What is Covered?

  • Buildings and/or Contents
  • Property Owners’ Liability
  • and much more!

How to get a Quote

To get a Quote, simply do one of the following:

  • Click any of the ‘Request a Quote’ Buttons and complete the online form.
  • Call our Specialists on 01483 806 815.
  • Download our Application Form located on the ‘Policy Documents’ page, print it out and fill in your details using BLOCK CAPITALS. This form can then either be posted to us, or scanned and emailed to
  • Download our Application Form and save it to your desktop. Re-open it, fill it in digitally and click ‘Send me to the InsuraHome Specialists’ on the final page, once you have completed all questions.
  • If you would like to request a call, send an email to with your name and contact number.

Please Note: Our Open Times are: 09:00-17:30, Monday-Friday. Excluding English Bank Holidays.

Feefo logo

Why Would I Need a Contents Only Insurance Policy?

If you are buying the leasehold on the property, as is common when buying a flat, then you are likely only to require contents insurance. This is because the freeholder should have a buildings policy in place. You may need to provide evidence of this policy to your mortgage provider, so it’s worth checking with the freeholder.

Are Valuables Covered Under a Contents Policy?

Yes, they usually are, although different policies may have slightly different definitions of what a ‘valuable’ is, they will generally include: jewellery, watches, collectibles, antiques, pictures and works of art. However, you will need to check your policy to make sure it meets your needs in terms of covering your valuables.

Be aware that valuables cover is usually limited to a percentage of the overall sum insured, for example on the First Time Buyer InsuraHome policy it is 20% of the total contents sum insured. This is further limited to £2,000 per item, unless that specific item that exceeds the limit is declared and accepted by insurers (potentially with an additional premium) and noted on your schedule.

Or speak to an InsuraHome First Time Buyer Homeowners Insurance specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 900

Contact Us

If you wish to speak to one of our InsuraHome First Time Buyer Insurance specialists:
Call: +44 (0) 1483 806 815
(Open 9.00am-5.30pm, Monday-Friday, excluding English Public Holidays).

For Claims information, please click here

About Our First Time Buyer Home Insurance Policy

InsuraHome’s insurance for first time home buyers is backed by a team of underwriters who are highly experienced and deal with each risk on a case-by-case basis. Therefore, our customers can be assured that all our InsuraHome Home Insurance policies provide protection, as required.

How do I get an InsuraHome First Time Home Buyer Insurance Quote?

At InsuraHome we like to provide you with first class customer service to ensure you are getting the protection you require.

To get an InsuraHome First Time Buyer Home Insurance quote click the ‘request a quote’ button and complete the online form. Alternatively download and complete an application form located on the ‘Policy Documents’ page and email it to

If you’d prefer to speak to someone, do not hesitate to call our First Time Buyer Home Insurance specialists on 01483 806 815 and we will be happy to provide you with a quote over the phone.

Or speak to an InsuraHome First Time Buyer Homeowners Insurance specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 900

WE LOVE TO HEARWords From Our Customers