InsuraHome’s Holiday Home & Second Home Insurance FAQs

Where you see words in bold, this is a defined word or section of cover within our Retreat Policy Wording and holds a specific meaning. You should check your Policy Wording for the specific definition or ask a member of our Specialist Home Insurance Team for further details if required.

I have a holiday home – Why would I not just buy regular home insurance?

You will likely find that most regular home insurance policies will not cover holiday homes or second homes, as they are perceived to be too great a risk. This can be down to a number of reasons, including but not limited to, the fact the property may be vacant for extended periods of time and that the home is not a main residence.

Fortunately, not only is Retreat Home Insurance available, it also includes holiday home-specific covers, for full peace of mind.

What does Retreat Home Insurance cover?

Retreat Home Insurance is divided into two main areas of cover: buildings insurance and contents insurance. When you purchase a policy, you have the choice of buying just buildings insurance, just contents insurance or buying a combination of both.

Additionally, Retreat Home Insurance is not a regular home insurance policy. InsuraHome’s UK Holiday Home Insurance includes holiday home-specific cover, such as Theft or Attempted Theft by Guests/Tenants, Loss of Rent and Accidents to Domestic Staff.

What is the difference between standard home insurance and Retreat Home Insurance?

Retreat Home Insurance is similar to standard home insurance, but is also available for holiday homes and second homes that are either used privately for family and friends, or for commercial letting.

Specific covers that are only relevant to second and/or holiday homes are also included, such as:

  • Loss of Rent
  • Alternative Accommodation
  • Theft and/or Attempted Theft by Guests and/or Tenants
  • Accidents to Domestic Staff
  • Guests and Visitors Personal Effects
  • & more!

Does the holiday home need to be occupied at all times?

No! We understand that a holiday and/or second homes may not always be occupied.

Will Retreat Home Insurance cover my villa in Spain?

Sadly, we only cover properties located within the United Kingdom at the moment.

This means we will currently only cover properties located in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Isle of Man and The Channel Islands.

Do I legally need home insurance for my holiday home?

Unlike car insurance, you are not required by law to have home insurance. However, depending on your financial circumstances, you may be required to have home insurance as part of a legal contract requirement. For example, many mortgage lenders will require you to have buildings insurance to protect your holiday home against unforeseen circumstances.

Does UK Holiday Home Insurance include caravans?

Unfortunately, no. Retreat Home Insurance is only available for fixed properties/buildings, typically made from materials such as brick and concrete.

Although, we may be able to cover properties made from non-standard materials such as timber, stramit, glass and steel upon referral.

If you couldn’t find the answer you were looking for, you may find it on our main Help & FAQ’s page.

As with any insurance products we recommend that if you have any questions and/or problems to read your Schedule of Benefits, Policy Wording and contact our Specialist Team if you are not sure of any details within your cover.

WE'VE GOT YOU COVEREDOur Insurance Products

[thw_insurance_shortcode number=”7″ column=”3″ navigation=”true” en_autoplay=”true” order=”DESC”]

WE LOVE TO HEARWords From Our Customers