Where you see words in bold, this is a defined word within our Policy Wording and holds a specific meaning. You should check your Policy Wording for the specific definition or ask a member of our Customer Services Team for further details if required.

What does home insurance cover?

Home Insurance is divided into two main areas of cover: buildings insurance and contents insurance. When you purchase a policy, you have the choice of buying just buildings insurance, just contents insurance or a buying a combination of both.

What is the difference between home insurance and contents insurance?

Buildings insurance covers structural damage to your property, including but not limited to, walls, floors and your roof. Often a buildings insurance policy will also cover fixtures, fittings, and fitted appliances attached to the home.

Contents insurance covers damage or loss of your belongings within your home.

Generally speaking, if an item can be reasonably moved along to another property, then it is likely to fall into the ‘contents’ category. If an item cannot be reasonably moved and is more of a permanent fixture or fitting, then it is likely to fall into the ‘buildings’ category.

You should always check your Policy Wording for further details or ask a member of the Customer Services Team if you are unsure about what is covered.

What is meant by ‘non-standard construction’?

If you are lucky enough to live in an exciting home with walls or roofs made of fashionable or alternative materials like glass, timber and corrugated iron, your home may well fall into the ‘non-standard construction’ category.

To be a ‘non-standard construction’, a home must have been built either fully or partially, from ‘non-standard’ materials.

Many insurers would not wish to insure a home which has been built from non-standard construction materials, as non-standard materials will typically hold a different and/or additional range of risks.

Luckily, InsuraHome can provide buildings insurance for most homes made of non-standard construction materials, just ask us!

Do I legally need home insurance?

Unlike car insurance, you are not required by law to have home insurance. However, depending on your financial circumstances, you may be required to have home insurance as part of a legal contract requirement. For example, many mortgage lenders will require you to have buildings insurance to protect your home against unforeseen circumstances.

What is ‘subsidence’?

We define subsidence as ‘downward movement of the ground beneath the buildings other than by settlement’.

Is my boiler covered by buildings insurance?

Probably not – our policies do not cover boiler breakdowns as standard.

However, we may be able to provide Emergency Home Cover which does cover boiler breakdowns, depending on your property and occupation type – just ask us!

I have purchased an apartment – do I need to get buildings insurance?

You may already have buildings insurance in place. Usually the owner of the building containing the apartments will have taken out buildings insurance, however you should check your leasehold to be certain.

You will be responsible for your own contents insurance, even if you’re living in student accommodation.

What is IPT?

IPT is an acronym for Insurance Premium Tax, which is a tax on general insurance premiums. You can read more about IPT here.

Didn’t find the answer that you were looking for? No problem! Call one of our Home Insurance Specialists today on 01483 806 815.

As with any insurance products we recommend that if you have any questions and/or problems to read your Schedule of Benefits, Policy Wording and contact your insurance provider if you aren’t sure of any details within your cover.

Get a Non-Standard Home Insurance Quote/Application Form Here

WE LOVE TO HEARWords From Our Customers