Vacant Property Insurance From InsuraHome

As a property owner there can be many reasons why your property is Vacant – you may be renovating it, rebuilding it, trying to sell the property after a relative’s death, selling the property following other personal circumstances, working away from home on business for an extended period of time or many other reasons. 

Vacant Property Home Insurance, depending on the level of cover you choose, provides cover in a number of situations that can arise when your home is Vacant for more than 30 consecutive days, including perils such as fire damage, and legal expenses such as a breach of contract for the sale of your home, or the cost of pursuing nuisance and trespass claims for the property.

However, a typical insurance policy does not necessarily provide adequate cover for vacant homes and some insurers may even refuse to cover a property left unoccupied for 30 consecutive days or more. So, if you’re leaving your property unoccupied for a lengthy period, it’s important to source appropriate insurance for your Vacant Property.

At InsuraHome Home Insurance, we are experts in providing an extensive Vacant Property Insurance solution for those wanting Home Insurance for Vacant Properties. Whether your property is due to be Vacant for 30 days, 60 days or even annually, we can help protect your wallet and your peace of mind from the unforeseen and unexpected.

What is Vacant Property Insurance?

Vacant Property Insurance covers the risks you face when being absent from your property for a long period of time. In some cases,  a mortgage provider may require you to, or a solicitor may suggest you obtain this specialist kind of cover because unoccupied homes can be more susceptible to burglary, vandalism and extensive damage from not being present at the property on a daily basis to catch  problems earlier.

Vacant Property Insurance is different from a ‘standard’ home insurance policy because it specifically covers the risks associated with owning an unoccupied property. InsuraHome Home Insurance can help provide cover for you and your Vacant Property from a number of perils such as fire, subsidence, earthquakes and may be able to offer protection where others may have declined in the past.

InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance is Available For:

  • Vacant residential homes that are intended to be kept and occupied, used as a holiday home or second home, to be let or to be sold.
  • Properties that have already been vacant for a number of years.
  • Homes requiring short term or annual policies.
  • Policy applicable to properties situated in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, The Isle of Man and The Channel Islands.

Vacant Property Insurance – Key Benefits:

InsuraHome Home Insurance’s Vacant Property Insurance UK offers three levels of Home Insurance cover enabling you to choose a policy to suit your individual needs, lifestyle and budget. Offering Bronze, Silver and Gold levels of cover, each provide different features and benefits enabling you to make the right choice when purchasing your vacant property home insurance insurance.

Benefits include:

  • Flexible Periods of Cover: 90 days, 180 days, 270 days or Annual cover, with the ability to extend a period of cover is required.
  • Cover for Buildings & Contents.
  • Cover automatically includes Legal Expenses Cover.
  • Cover provided for accidents to Domestic Staff.
  • Cover for “Clean” and “Non-Standard” Risks.
  • Three levels of cover available: Bronze, Silver and Gold.
  • No Excesses apply, other than for claims related to subsidence.
  • Property development considered subject to certain criteria.
  • Can cover listed buildings.

Cover for a Number of Perils can be included in InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance policies, such as:

  • Building works that are planned or in progress
  • Fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake
  • Aircraft and other flying devices or items dropped from them
  • Subsidence or heave of the site on which the buildings stand or landslip
  • Accidental Damage to Fixtures and Fittings
  • Accidental Damage to Services
  • Professional Fees & Expenses
  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Falling trees, telegraph poles and lamp-posts
  • Sale of Property
  • Escape of water from frost or frost damage to fixed water tanks, apparatus and pipes.
  • And more!

Or speak to an InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance Specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 815

What is Covered?
  • Currently vacant homes
  • Inherited properties
  • Non-standard properties

How to get a Quote

To get a Quote, simply do one of the following:

  • Click any of the 'Request a Quote' Buttons and complete the online form.
  • Call our Specialists on 01483 806 815.
  • Download our Application Form located on the 'Policy Documents' page, print it out and fill in your details using BLOCK CAPITALS. This form can then either be posted to us, or scanned and emailed to
  • Download our Application Form and save it to your desktop. Re-open it, fill it in digitally and click 'Send me to the InsuraHome Specialists' on the final page, once you have completed all questions.
  • If you would like to request a call, send an email to with your name and contact number.

Please Note: Our Open Times are: 09:00-17:30, Monday-Friday.

Or speak to an InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance Specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 815

Vacant Property Insurance – What is Covered?

The following limits are provided automatically unless a higher limit is requested. To view the full list of cover available, please click here to see the full Vacant Property Insurance Policy Wording.

Buildings Insurance Summary of Cover – InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance

Fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake
Aircraft and other flying devices or items dropped from them
Subsidence or heave of the site on which the buildings stand or landslip
Storm, flood or weight of snow
Collision by any vehicle or animal
Breakage or collapse of fixed radio and television aerials, fixed satellite dishes and their fittings and masts (buildings only)
Falling trees, telegraph poles or lamp-posts
Escape of water from or frost damage to fixed water tanks, apparatus or pipes (limited to £7,500)
Escape of oil from a fixed domestic oil-fired heating installation or smoke damage causes by a fault in any fixed domestic heating installation (limited to £7,500)
Theft or attempted theft (limited to £7,500)
Any person taking part in a riot, violent disorder, strike, labour disturbance, civil commotion or acting maliciously (limited to £7,500)

Or speak to an InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance Specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 815

Vacant Property Insurance  – Buildings Additional Insurance Cover (automatically included)

Accidental Damage to Fixtures & Fittings
Accidental Damage to services
Professional Fees & Expenses
Sale of the Property
Replacement Locks (limited to £2,500)
Unauthorised use of Electricity, Gas or Water (limited to £2,500)
Garden, Plants & Shrubs (limited to £1,000, £250 per plant, tree or shrub)
Loss of Metered Water (limited to £1,000)
Trace & Access (limited to £5,000)
Loss of Oil (limited to £1,000)
Damage by Emergency Services (limited to £1,000)
Security Expenses (limited to £5,000)

Vacant Property Insurance – Contents Additional Insurance Cover (automatically included)

Replacement Locks (limited to £2,500)
Loss of Metered Water (limited to £1,000)
Loss of Oil (limited to £1,000)

Click here to see the full InsuraHome Vacant Property Home Insurance Policy Wording for the full summary of buildings and contents covers as well as optional covers.

To get an InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance Quote – it’s quick and easy…

Or speak to an InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance Specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 815

Vacant Property Insurance UK – FAQs

Can you get insurance for a Vacant Property?

The simple answer is yes you can get insurance for a Vacant property. Vacant property insurance covers you when your property is Vacant for longer than your standard home insurance policy will allow. InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance can provide cover for unoccupied properties for periods of 90, 180, 270 days or annual cover. 

What counts as a Vacant Property?

You may be wondering – how long can I leave my house unoccupied so that It’s still covered? In terms of standard normal home insurance, a Vacant property is usually one that has been left uninhabited for more than 30 days consecutively. This is because most standard home insurance policies will not cover your property if it is left unoccupied for longer than 30-60 days because of the increased risk of theft, vandalism, a burst pipe being undiscovered and more. Therefore, there are specialised non-standard Vacant property insurance policies available on the market designed to cover these risks and circumstances. 

How much does Vacant Property Insurance cost?

The cost of an Vacant property insurance policy will vary depending on many factors such as the value of the property, condition of the property as well as the location and security of the property as if the property is in an area with a high crime rate then the price of cover is likely to increase. In general, Vacant property insurance will cost more than a standard home insurance policy in terms cost per day of cover due to the additional risks associated with an Vacant property. 

How do I prepare my Vacant property for winter?

Many homeowners and landlords forget about the obligations they have for looking after their properties during the cold, wet and windy winter period. Many things could potentially go wrong with your property such as burst frozen pipes, flooding, loss of heating, leaky roof and other unexpected surprises. Click here to check out InsuraHome’s 5 easy ways to prepare your property for winter hazards.

Or speak to an InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance Specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 815

Contact InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance UK

If you wish to speak to one of our InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance Specialists:
Call: +44 (0) 1483 806 900
(Open 9.00am-5.30pm, Monday-Friday, excluding English Public Holidays).
For Claims information, please click here.

About InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance

Our Vacant Property Insurance policy is underwritten by Plum Underwriting Ltd, due to their flexibility and non-standard underwriting experience. InsuraHome Insurance for Vacant Properties is backed by a team of underwriters who are highly experienced and deal with each risk on a case-by-case basis. Therefore, our customers can be assured that all our InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance policies provide tailor-made protection, as required.

How do I get an InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance Quote?

At InsuraHome we like to provide you with first class customer service to ensure you are getting the protection you require.

To get an InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance quote click the ‘Request a Quote’ Button and complete the online form. Alternatively download and complete an application form located on the ‘Policy Documents’ page and email it to

If you would like some assistance when completing your application form do not hesitate to call our InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance specialists on 01483 806 900.

Or speak to an InsuraHome Vacant Property Insurance Specialist by calling +44 (0) 1483 806 815

WE LOVE TO HEARWords From Our Customers