Why do I need travel insurance?
The next time you step into an airport or board a ferry spare a thought for your fellow passengers, because it turns out that up to one in five* of them will be travelling without the protection of travel insurance!
It is often presumed by British travellers that a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will cover you for travel issues when you are abroad – this is a common misconception which can result in hefty bills, even when travelling within Europe.
An EHIC is not the same as travel insurance, it will not cover private medical treatment, or fly you home if you need it – and it certainly won’t cover you if you lose your luggage, cancel your holiday or get delayed!
An EHIC will only permit a traveller to have access to the same level of free medical care that a local would have within the EEA country they have travelled to – so in some instances, this could mean there is access to very little medical treatment for free. For example, if you accidentally fall and break your hip in Spain, you could still expect a bill of £15,000** to cover your treatment and return flights.
Outside of the EEA, your EHIC is useless. If you were to travel to California and end up in hospital with a stomach bug, treatment and return flights home could cost as much as £100,000**!
Although travel insurance cannot prevent you from falling ill or accidentally hurting yourself, it can provide help in an emergency and can take care of many unexpected bills arising from Emergency Medical Expenses. Not only that, but InsuraTrip Travel Insurance also covers a wide range of common holiday-associated headaches, such as:
- Baggage Cover – for if your possessions are lost, stolen, damaged or delayed
- Cancellation cover – for if you are unable to go on your trip
- Scheduled Airline Failure – for if your scheduled airline stops trading
- Personal Money Cover – for if your cash, passport or travel documents are lost or stolen on your trip
- Personal Liability – for if you are held responsible for any injury or damage
- Natural Disaster Cover – for if a natural disaster such as flood, earthquake or storm occurs which disrupts your travel and/or accommodation.
- Additional Bolt-On covers – such as Winter Sports, Cruise Plus, Business Cover and more!
- InsuraTrip Travel Insurance is available for Single Trips, Long Stays & Backpackers and Annual Multi Trip covers.